- In late 2007 NVRPA was the first park agency in the nation to sign on to Cool Counties or Cool Cities. These are initatives to reduce greenhouse gases.
- NVRPA is the first and currently only public park agency in the Mid-Atlantic states to get their golf courses certified by Audubon International as wildlife sanctuaries. This was an extensive year long process to achieve environmental excellence is a wide number of areas.
- Most recently NVRPA became the first park agency to become a partner with the EPA Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program. This partnership grew out of NVRPA's cutting edge fertizer and pesticide use policy that goes far beyond what is required by law.
As the stewards of over 10,000 acres of land, most of it along the major waterways of our region, it is critcally important that we lead by example, in these and other evironmental concerns.
Environmental Leadership Links:
- NVRPA is the first park agency to sign on to Cool Cities, and Cool Counties agreement to reduce carbon footprint.
- NVRPA is the first park agency to sign on to EPA's Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program.
- Setting a Green Example: Washington Post Article about NVRPA's energy conservation efforts.
- You Tube video of the largest all LED holiday light show in the world at Bull Run Regional Park.
- All three NVRPA golf courses are certified Wildlife Sancuaries by Audubon International.